Monday, May 14, 2012

Unexpected Turn of Events...

Tuesday, May 8th- Today I started experience very intense lower abdomen pain that kept me up all night. Being the good patient that I am I called my doctor's office first thing in the morning and they told me to come in ASAP.  After spending some time doing a non-stress test I was sent home and told to take it easy.  I did just that but was still having pain off and on.  That night things took a dramatic change.  I went to bed or at least I tried to.  I slept for probably about 30 minutes until I was awaken by pain that was very different and intense.  I jumped up and started pacing my room.  I could not figure out what was going on.  I tried stretching and bending in many different ways (yes I am crazy and was desperate for relief) and nothing worked.  I finally laid down when something strange happened.  My water started to break.  YIKES, I was seriously not ready for this.  I was 32 weeks pregnant and had planned on having at least 4 more weeks to prepare.  I called down to James and he rushed up stairs to my aid.  He was so cute running around the house trying to help me get in the car and get to the hospital in one piece.  When I got out of the car at the ER my water really decided to break.  It was very embarrassing and funny at the same time.  I was put in a wheel chair and brought up to labor and delivery in an instant.  Once in my room I was assessed by an awesome nurse and immediately put on IV medications to stop my labor.  After being assessed I was shocked to find out I was fully effaced and 2 centimeters dilated.  Thankfully my body started to respond to the meds right away and my labor stopped.  My first night in the hospital was crazy but I am happy to say that since then each day/night has gotten easier.

Wednesday, May 9th to the present- I am currently on hospital bed rest and have the one goal of keeping these precious babies "baking" for as long as possible. So far as good!!   My doctor's are very positive and are happy with the way that I have responded to all the meds.  My nurses have been great here at Mission and I am grateful for each hour the babies are still inside me.  James, my mom, my dad and my sister Hillarie have gone above and beyond to take care of me.  I am one lucky patient!  Also, I have received an outpouring of love and support from my amazing friends and church family.  All of the prayers, emails and texts have brought me to tears many times.  I don't think I will ever be able to express to everyone how much they mean to me.

Celebrations- I got to celebrate my very first Mother's Day here at the hospital.  My sweet parents bought me beautiful earrings and other wonderful treats and James spoiled me with a card and beautiful necklace.  Then today, May 14th, James and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary.  James and I are beyond blessed and have SO many things to celebrate!!

5 comments:

terenjaxteegan said...

Oh Mel, I am so glad you are in such good care and have a wonderful support system. I am proud of you for being one tough Mama. Love you all to pieces.

Megan said...

I just keep thinking about how I had chance to share my story with you...I would NEVER have guessed you'd be put on hospital bed rest as well...I am praising God for keeping your babies safe and that you are as far along as you are and I honestly believe they will be just fine!!! I know what you're going through, I know the emotions you are feeling and the journey you are on so if you need advice or just someone to talk to just let me know! I know I've told you before too but if you happen to have to experience the NICU and have any questions about that journey or ANY breastfeeding questions in the future please don't hesitate to ask!
God is so good and I'm praying for you and your ladybugs!

Megan

Holly Lombardo said...

Praying for all 4 of you!

Rebecca Titone said...

Hi sweetie keeping you all in my prayers! I had my twins at 33 weeks and they could eat Nd breath on their own. Good job keeping them growing in you! You are amazing! Love you all so much!

The Calagna Family said...

Always remember.... I was 2 1/2 lbs...look where I am! I love you and am praying for your family!! xoxo