Thursday, June 7, 2012

3 Weeks Old (37 Weeks)

 Piper 

It is amazing to think that Phoebe and Piper should still be in my tummy.  Today they would have been 37 weeks instead of 3 weeks old.  Don't get me wrong, I am glad the girls are here and healthy today, but it would have been nice for them to bake a little longer.

Today was another amazing day at CHOC.  Piper drank her morning bottle for me in 4 minutes flat.  Phoebe took some of her morning bottle and then got tired.  Both girls are working SO hard and making good progress, just on their own time schedule.  Then at the 2:00 pm feeding Piper shocked both the nurse and I.  Piper took a shocking 56ml from my breast!!!  This was going above and beyond what she should eat.  At this point Piper needs to eat a minimum of 40ml at each feeding and if she takes more that is just an added bonus.  Just when I thought things could not get more exciting, Phoebe breast fed 34ml and only needed 3ml of breast milk in her feeding tube.  I was so proud of my big girls!!

Speaking of "big girls" here is a quick weight update on the girls, Piper is 4 pounds 8 ounces and Phoebe (who is quickly catching up to her sister) is 4 pounds 5 ounces.  We still do not have a going home date for either  of the girls but James and I are fine with that.  We continue to see progress everyday and that is all we can ask for.  Knowing God is watching out for our little miracles and that we have so many people praying for them makes this whole process so much easier.  Thank you to everyone for praying, we love you all! <3

Phoebe

3 comments:

Caitlin Rodriguez said...

Beautiful. So happy for you! I am glad to see they are gaining weight, drinking your milky and progressing so well. Love to you all!

Rebecca Titone said...

What fantastic new! They are going grow so fast with all that milky! They'll be strong and home soon!

Megan said...

Reading things posts bring me right back to my journey, I had posts JUST like this. It makes me teary! I am so happy for you! So, so exciting that they can nurse as well as bottle. Pretty much my only complaint from the NICU at Laguna Hills is that they would never really let me nurse. I got to try once with each baby the entire month they were there. It was so hard and very frustrating for me. Since they were bottle fed in the NICU, when they came home they had major nipple confusion. It took me 4 straight months of trying to nurse both baby, every feed, every day. EXHAUSTING. 96 times a day I think I calculated. And then I had to pump on top of all that. But I hung in there and after 4 months it just clicked. I went on to exclusively nurse til 14 months! It's such an incredible blessing and bond!!! If you ever have ANY nursing questions please never hesitate to ask me! Your girls are so precious!

P.S Here is my blog that I have had for 4 years, it documents our entire journey from our positive pregnancy test, to now :) Just incase you need insight from another twin mommy :)

http://twopeasinherpod.blogspot.com/